Dhaka, Feb 21: Bangladesh assistant coach Mohammad Salahuddin has criticised a senior aide to former interim leader Muhammad Yunus over the controversy surrounding the team’s participation in the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, accusing him of making misleading statements about the decision-making process.
Salahuddin alleged that former sports adviser Asif Nazrul made contradictory claims regarding the decision on whether Bangladesh would travel to India for its matches. He said the shifting statements created confusion and placed unnecessary pressure on players and team management.
The controversy began after Nazrul initially suggested that the decision not to travel to India had been taken at the government level. He later indicated that the matter had been discussed with players and cricket authorities, prompting criticism from members of the team set-up.
Salahuddin said the uncertainty surrounding the issue had affected players mentally, as many had been looking forward to representing the country at the tournament. He added that conflicting public statements had complicated the situation and caused frustration within the squad.
Bangladesh had earlier explored the possibility of playing its matches outside India, citing concerns, but the matter became contentious after differing versions of events emerged from officials and those involved with the team.
The episode has sparked debate in Bangladesh’s cricket circles over how decisions related to international tournaments are communicated, with questions raised about coordination between government representatives and cricket authorities.
The dispute marks the latest development in the controversy over Bangladesh’s participation arrangements for the tournament, with tensions continuing over how the issue was handled.







