New Delhi: In a rare public admission, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif revealed that India targeted the Nur Khan Air Base during recent cross-border military strikes, and that a ceasefire proposal was conveyed to him directly by Chief of Army Staff General Asim Munir.
Speaking about the incident, Sharif said he was informed of the missile strikes in the early hours of May 10, 2025, during a phone call from General Munir at around 2:30 AM. The conversation confirmed that India had struck the highly strategic Nur Khan Air Base, located in Chaklala, Rawalpindi, near Islamabad.
The Nur Khan Air Base is a crucial installation for the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), serving as the main hub for transport and strategic airlift operations. It also houses the VIP squadron responsible for the air travel of Pakistan’s top civilian and military leadership.
Sharif described the moment of the call, saying, “It was morning time. I had my secure phone with me while I was swimming. As luck would have it, the phone rang.” On the other end, General Munir informed him of the missile strike and conveyed that India was now seeking a ceasefire.
Reacting to the ceasefire proposal, the Pakistani Prime Minister said, “I told him that this is a matter of pride—that you responded with force against the enemy and now they are forced to request a ceasefire.”
On May 10, India officially confirmed that a ceasefire agreement had been reached with Pakistan following direct communication between the Director Generals of Military Operations (DGMOs) of both countries. While the ceasefire was accepted and later extended, India maintained a strong warning: any violation would be met with a firm response.
New Delhi reiterated that its zero-tolerance policy toward terrorism remains unchanged and emphasized that future engagement with Pakistan will be contingent on addressing the issue of cross-border terrorism.
The events followed India’s retaliatory military operation—Operation Sindoor—launched in response to the April 22 Pahalgam terror attack, which killed 26 Indian citizens. Indian forces had targeted multiple terror hideouts across Pakistan and Pakistan-occupied Kashmir, killing over 100 militants linked to groups like Lashkar-e-Taiba, Jaish-e-Mohammad, and Hizbul Mujahideen.
Trending
- Goa’s Roads Are Crumbling, Will the New PWD Minister Fix Them?
- Ganpati Visarjan Shed Inaugurated at Shel Melawali, Guleli
- Network Issues in Khotoda Panchayat to be Resolved; NOC for Velge-Dabose Bridge Soon: Vishwajit Rane
- No-Confidence Motion Against Keri Sarpanch Supriya Gavas Passed Unanimously
- Man Assaulted Over Parking Dispute in Mapusa; Five Accused Booked
- Minor Girl Kidnapped From Rented Room in Kundai
- Room Boy Found Dead in Suspected Suicide at Calangute Guest House
- Unidentified Male Body Found Floating Near Deltin Jetty, Reis Magos