Team Goemkarponn
MORMUGAO: Responding to growing public concern over road safety, the Mormugao Port Authority (MPA) on Friday morning began work on reducing the height of the compound wall near the up and down ramps at Baina flyover. The move follows persistent demands from local residents, who have blamed the wall for creating blind spots and contributing to accidents in the area.
Sources confirmed that MPA workers began the wall modification early in the day, but many locals continued to insist on the complete removal of the wall, terming it a hazard that has turned the stretch into an accident-prone zone.
It may be recalled that a joint site inspection was conducted last week by Vasco MLA Krishna Salkar, along with MPA officials, Mormugao Dy Collector Bhagwant Karmali, Mamlatdar Pranvijay Pandit, Vasco Police, Traffic Cell officials, municipal councillors, and concerned citizens. The inspection came in response to repeated complaints from residents about the compound wall and gates installed by MPA near the ramps.
Speaking after the inspection, Salkar said the issue had been raised with the highest authorities, including Chief Minister Dr. Pramod Sawant.
“We have carried out an inspection with MPA and government officials to address the safety issue caused by the compound wall and gates,” said Salkar. “We had asked MPA to remove or at least shift the wall inwards because it causes a blind spot that could lead to serious accidents.”
While MPA had cited security concerns for the installations, Salkar had emphasized that public safety must take priority.
Salkar reiterated that while the preferred solution is to have the gates completely removed, the administration was also considering alternatives if total removal isn’t feasible.
“Our main demand is for complete removal. If that’s not possible, we are urging them to at least shift the gates backward to eliminate the blind spot,” he had said.
He had also pointed out that the MPA had previously provided written assurance to the government that the gates would remain open to the public and be locked only during emergencies.
Meanwhile, local residents have renewed their appeal for urgent action, warning that the current layout remains dangerous, especially during peak traffic hours. Many expressed hope that Friday’s steps would be the beginning of lasting corrective measures to ensure commuter safety in the area.