Moscow, Feb 21: Russia’s foreign intelligence agency has taken control of the African operations once run by the Wagner Group, according to an investigation that details how the network’s political and influence activities have been absorbed by state structures.
The report said the takeover followed the death of Wagner founder Yevgeny Prigozhin in 2023, after which Russian authorities moved to reorganise the group’s extensive presence across the African continent. SVR is now said to be overseeing influence operations previously handled by Wagner-linked networks. 
Wagner had built a wide footprint in several African countries, deploying fighters in conflict zones and developing networks aimed at advancing Moscow’s political and economic interests. The group was also accused of running influence and disinformation campaigns alongside its military activities. 
Investigators said the intelligence service is now coordinating political outreach, information operations and local contacts through structures that were once part of Wagner’s network. These activities include cultivating sources, supporting allied actors and expanding Russian influence in strategic regions. 
Documents reviewed as part of the investigation indicated that teams linked to the network had been active in multiple countries across Africa and beyond in recent years. The operations combined political engagement, security links and information campaigns aimed at strengthening Russia’s long-term presence in the region. 
The reorganisation reflects a broader effort by Moscow to maintain its role in Africa after the decline of Wagner as an independent force. While some military activities have been shifted to new structures, influence operations appear to have been consolidated under intelligence supervision. 







