MARGAO: Another fire incident was reported at Sonsoddo today as the garbage dumped inside the waste treatment plant was engulfed in flames. Several fire tenders had been called at the spot to douse the fire.
As per reports, the incident took place due to a short circuit in the high tension fire, which lies just above the garbage dump on the adjacent pole.
“We are trying to douse the fire at the upper level itself; additional fire tenders have been called in from the neighboring areas. Also, the problem is that there is a lot od dry grass, and due to the blowing wind, it can catch fire,” said South Goa Deputy Collector Prasad Volvoikar
As soon as the news about the fire broke, Margao Municipal council officials also rushed to Sonsoddo to oversee the operation control the fire.
According to sources, the fire and smoke will continue to billow from the waste accumulated inside the plant due to the presence of methane.
The council is still awaiting approval from the Department of Urban Development for the tender to rope in a contractor to move out the waste stacked inside the plant.
It is pertinent to note that the Goa Waste Management Corporation had tried to resolve the issue with regards to the waste dumped inside the plant by engaging a contractor at an estimated cost of Rs 86 lakh, but the contractor’s payments have not been cleared.