Major crimes since 2020…
- Gang War killing one person at Santa Cruz on 21st June 2020
- Murder of Jeweller Swapnil Valke in Margao on 3rd September
- Murder of Vilas Methar, a resident of Porvorim, by setting him ablaze on 15th October 2020
- The brutal double murder of 65-year-old Contractor Minguel Miranda and his 85-year-old Mother in Law at Fatorda on 8th March 2021
- Rape of Minr Girl on 26th June at Bicholim
- Suicide of three family members on 29th June at Zuarinagar alleging police harassment
- Daylight murder of Amar Naik at Bogmolo on 18th July
- Rape of two Minor Girls at Benaulim beach by four persons on 25th July
- Rape incident at Usgao on 29th July
- Abduction of Goa Businessman Navin Patel on 4th August demanding ransom
- Rape of 13 years Minor Girl at Sattari
- Robbery in a jewellery shop at Mapusa on 11th August
- A body of a person was found at the Candolim beach on 19th August.
- Kidnapping and Rape of a Minor Girl from Sattari
- The mysterious death of Siddi Naik, whose body was found at Calangute beach
- The mysterious deaths of two Russian women in North Goa were reported on 21st August.
- Attempt to abduct a young girl at Ponda
- The horrific incident of a 6-year girl raped by her own father
- A viral video of a Police Constable beating his own wife on the national highway
- Brutal attack on Shailesh Simepurushkar at Guddem – Siolim over the property issue.
SURAJ NANDREKAR/ Goemkarponn
PANAJI: The Chief Minister Dr Pramod Sawant, his cabinet colleagues and the Bharatiya Janata Party may paint a rosy picture of the administration of their government, but the law and order situation in the State seems to be deteriorating with every passing day.
To say the least, there have been several. rapes, murders, attempts to murders and thefts in the last two and half years of the Sawant regime.
Moreover, there have been “N” number of drugs cases reported in the State of late.
Seriously, there is something wrong somewhere; the peace-loving Goa is no more peaceful, with rapes, murders and thefts being the order of the day.
Despite the rise in crime, what is shocking is that this Government has not taken any corrective measures to control the criminal activities in Goa.
The daily crimes have dented Goa’s image severely across the globe.
Brutal crimes are new to Goa…
Crimes like the Swapnil Naik murder case, Siddhi Naik death mystery, and murder of Vilas Mehtar in Porvorim are new to Goa and haven’t been witnessed for long.
On Monday, there was another brutal attempt to murder one Shailesh Simerpurushkar over a property dispute. This proves that there is no fear of police left anymore in the State.
This is the first in Goa that supari killers and sharp-shooters are being used to kill people.
It is high time the police and the administration pull up their sleeves and act as Goa is no more a peaceful State.
CM’s statement spurs criminals?..
After the Beanulim gangrape rape of the two minor girls just before the winter session of teh Assembly, Sawant argued against blaming the police alone. “We directly blame the police, but I want to point out that of the 10 youth who went to the beach for a party, four stayed on the beach the whole night, and the remaining six went home,” he said.
“They were on the beach the whole night, two boys and two girls. He said teens, particularly minors, should not be spending nights on beaches.
“When 14-year-olds stay on the beach the whole night, the parents need to introspect. Just because children do not listen, we cannot put the responsibility on the government and police,” said Sawant, who is also the home minister and in charge of law-and-order in the State.
Opposition slams CM…
Leader of Opposition Digambar Kamat has demanded CM’s resignation over the deteriorating law and order situation.
“The unprecedented rise in criminal activities has sent shivers amongst the Goan’s. There are rapes, murders, kidnappings, gang wars happening almost daily. BJP Government headed by Chief Minister Dr Pramod Sawant has transformed Goa into a Criminal Hub. This Government has no moral right to remain in power. The Chief Minister must resign immediately, failing which the Governor of Goa should take serious note of the deteriorating law and order situation and dismiss the Government immediately,” demanded Kamat.
Goa Forward, president and MLA Vijai Sardesai, said, “The safety of citizens is the responsibility of the police and state government. If they cannot provide it to us, the chief minister has no right to continue.”
In a tweet, Independent lawmaker Rohan Khaunte said: “It is shocking that @goacm (Sawant) is blaming parents for allowing their children to venture out in the night, claiming that it is not safe. if the State govt can’t assure us our security, who can give it? Goa has a history of being a safe State for women; that tag is being lost in @BJP4Goa (Bharatiya Janata Party) rule.”