The South Western Railway (SWR) officials had to take a hasty retreat as the site inspection for the doubling of railway track from Vasco to Majorda was cancelled for second time.
Hundreds of people gathered at Cansaulim to oppose the plans of double tracking which they said was being done for transportation of coal.
Cortalim MLA Alina Saldanha was also amongst the locals and opposed the move of doubling the track as it will only cause destruction for locals.
She maintained that there were several heritage houses which will face demolition due to the plans.
Congress MLA Alexio Reginaldo Lourenco also sided with the locals on the issue and demanded that government immediately scrap the plans.
The administration, anticipating trouble, had pressed large number of police force at the inspection site.
People were seen shouting that come what may they will not allow the double tracking.
- Allot spaces to those people who had their kioks outside GMC on priority: Former MLA to CM
- Sec 144 imposed at Uguem & Sanguem on likelihood of protest against IIT by farmers
- Govt in process of digitising KTCL services: CM
- On this Dussehra, CM seeks people’s support to fight evils in the society
- Club X Owner Manoj Singh Provided Five Girls To Entertain Guests For Accused Tarzan & Ludu’s Birthday Bash
- Returned to Goa 45 days ago, after serving 6-mth externment, Tarzan committed another crime
- Kidnapping cases related to school children only rumours: DySP Dalvi
- MMC takes resolution to revoke GSL Occupancy