Team Goemkarponn
PANAJI: Chief Minister Pramod Sawant on Monday announced a series of measures to strengthen Goa’s monsoon preparedness, including activation of a 24×7 disaster management war room, a complete ban on road cutting during the rainy season and deployment of emergency response teams across the state.
Addressing reporters after a disaster management review meeting, Sawant said all district collectors, panchayats and municipalities have been directed to complete pending pre-monsoon works on priority. The state government has allocated ₹4 crore to the North Goa Collector, ₹3 crore to the South Goa Collector and ₹2 crore for Mormugao district to tackle monsoon-related emergencies and infrastructure requirements. Four ambulances have also been kept ready for emergency response during the season.
The Chief Minister said nearly 400 Apda Mitras and 70 Apda Sakhis have been trained for disaster response operations. These volunteers will receive a daily honorarium of ₹750 along with insurance coverage while assisting during emergencies. Referring to last year’s monsoon damage, Sawant said compensation worth ₹4.5 crore in North Goa and ₹1 crore in South Goa has already been distributed to affected persons.
Sawant further stated that the disaster management war room will function round-the-clock throughout the monsoon for emergency coordination and rapid response. He added that the government is planning to establish a dedicated Disaster Management Authority in the future, bringing together departments such as Fire and Emergency Services, Police, PWD, Health and other agencies under one coordinated mechanism.
The Chief Minister also instructed the Traffic Department and Public Works Department to install emergency signages and warning boards at accident-prone locations across the state. Emergency helpline number 112 will continue as the common contact number during disasters, while additional emergency numbers will be announced shortly.
Announcing safety measures during the rainy season, Sawant said the government has imposed a complete ban on road cutting during the monsoon. He also appealed to the public not to swim in mining pits or abandoned stone quarries, warning of serious risks and accidental deaths. According to him, several such locations have already been fenced while warning signboards have been installed at others.
As part of preventive healthcare measures, the Chief Minister said the Health Department has been directed to conduct free screening of migrant labourers arriving from outside Goa for vector-borne diseases during the monsoon season.






