Team Goemkarponn
MORMUGAO: Sharp exchanges and heated discussions marked the meeting of the Mormugao Municipal Council during a special meeting on Friday as several councillors strongly opposed a proposal to hand over the existing PFA animal shelter to a new private operator and instead demanded that additional funds be sanctioned for the present facility.
The issue triggered lengthy discussions during the council meeting, with councillors maintaining that the current party managing the shelter has been functioning satisfactorily despite financial constraints. Members stated that the shelter has been providing proper care and treatment to stray animals and argued that replacing the operator would only create unnecessary complications.
Several councillors demanded that the civic body allot an additional ₹5 lakh towards maintenance, sanitation and other operational expenses of the shelter so that the existing management can continue functioning effectively. Councillors also pointed out that cleanliness and upkeep at the shelter could be improved further if adequate financial assistance is provided by the council.
Ward councillor Shraddha Mahale Shetye opposed the appointment of any new private party to manage the facility and said local residents have been facing hardships due to the functioning of the shelter in a residential locality. She stated that concerns regarding safety, foul smell and inconvenience to nearby residents have repeatedly been raised before the authorities.
Shetye further said that Vasco MLA Krishna Salkar had earlier assured residents that the animal shelter would eventually be shifted from the locality. However, despite repeated demands from residents, no concrete steps have yet been taken towards relocating the facility. She urged the authorities to identify a suitable location and shift the shelter at the earliest to prevent any untoward incidents and ease the difficulties faced by local residents.
Meanwhile, councillor Priya Raut also raised objections over the proposed temporary shifting of the KTC bus stand and alleged that work at the site had already commenced without completion of mandatory formalities and approvals. She questioned how work could begin before placing complete details of the proposal before the council.
Raut also criticized the authorities for failing to provide detailed information regarding the proposed new bus stand project, which is expected to be developed under the public-private partnership (PPP) model. She maintained that councillors and members of the public have a right to know the full details of the project before any further work is carried out.







