MARGAO: Former Rajya Sabha Member of Parliament Luizinho Faleiro, after tendering his resignation, said that he quit because “Things didn’t quite go according to plan, inspite of the best intentions”.
Following is the press statement issued by Luizinho Faleiro:
I’m reaching out to you to inform you of an important well thought out decision of my political and legislative career, and can of no better day than this when we are celebrating new beginnings and rejuvenation.
I have decided to resign from my membership of the Rajya Sabha, very graciously accorded to me by the Trinamool Congress Party and its leader, the Honourable Chief Minister of Bengal and one of the shining lights of secularism, Smt Mamata Bannerjee.
She inspired me to accept her invitation to join the party before the last Assembly elections, and I did so because Congress had not succeeded in bringing together all the forces in the country which believed in seeing a united, secular India without any divisions among human beings.
TMC did bring with it a ray of hope, especially because it was led by their “didi”. She was the magnet around which the party functioned and owed its popularity. I had hoped that with her leadership and personal involvement and with fresh grassroots candidates, Goa would see a new template of grassroots politics which is what the name Trinamool stands for.
The ground realities are known to all. Without elaborating further let’s suffice to say that things didn’t quite go according to plan, inspite of the best intentions.
At the same time, I thank “didi” for giving me important positions in the party, like National Vice President. Her graciousness and magnanimity in offering me a Rajya Sabha seat from Bengal has to be commended, and I thank her for her gesture and faith in me. After I got elected to the upper house on 22nd November, 2021, I humbly made the best of this opportunity to serve the people of Goa by raising crucial issues concerning Goa’s land, its environment and its natural resources.
My journalists friends will be aware of some of the important questions raised recently, the answers to which have given you important insights and data on issues like Mhadei, Forests, Agriculture, fisheries, seafarer’s welfare, etc.
I am taking the liberty of flagging some of them for you:
– Spoke against major projects which have not only destroyed but devastated the economy, environment and livelihoods of the people of Goa
– Raised the path-breaking issue of establishment of a National Christian University for Goa under Article 29 & 30 of the Constitution of India, fully funded by the Government on the lines of Aligarh Muslim University and Banaras Hindu University
– Raised the issue of destruction of the ecology in Goa and assault on Federalism.
– Raised the issue of lacing the staple food of Goans –fish with Formaline, which is sure to poison and killing of Goans.
– Spoke on cataclysmic consequences of converting beautiful and serene Goa into a miserable
Coal Hub post re agreement for transportation of 13 million tons of coal through Goa
– Raised my voice against the three linear projects calling them the three cardinal sins on the people of Goa.
– Argued for Goa’s rightful share of Mhadei water, which is being diverted to the bigger state of Karnataka. in this interstate river water dispute. Mhadei represents 60% of the lifeline of the people of Goa.
– Also the issue of brutalizing and destroying Mollem Wild life Sanctuary
– Flagged the failure of the Goa Government to restart mining which rendered 2.5 lakh people jobless
– Flagged the illegal construction of villa within the protected area of St. Cajetan Church in violation of the ancient monuments and Archaeological sites and remains Act, 1958
– Raised the issue Major Ports Authority Act, 2021 which is affecting 60% of the population of Goa. and many others
Issue closest to my heart- Central Museum for Dr Francisco Luis Gomes at his birthplace in
One of my heart’s desires is to build a Central Museum for Dr Francisco Luis Gomes at his birthplace in Navelim, Goa his birthplace.
Francisco Luis Gomes was known as a prince of intellectuals with a liberal philosophy. He is one of the great orator, Physician, writer, historian, economists, political scientist and Member of Parliament from Goa in Portugal. Dr.
Francisco Luis Gomes has propounded the concept of National Freedom for India. Much before the popular launch of the Freedom Movement in 1857, asking for to fight for liberty from the colonial rulers in India. He strove/fought for the creation of a society based on the principles of liberty, equality and fraternity and all along his life campaigned against Socio-economic injustices committed in the colonies. His name is recorded in our History and Civic Textbooks in Goa.
Challenge and disappointment of being a Goan MP but not an MP from Goa
When attempting to secure funds from my MPLAD quota, I realized that I could spend only Rs. 25.00,000/- of my allocated funds outside the state from which I have been elected (Bengal).
While I could have raised a little more, it would not have been enough for my dream project of Honouring India’s first freedom fighter and a Goan.
Moreover, in the Rajya Sabha, I am pressed for time to raise issues concerning Goa because of the limited allotment given to the part making it difficult to raise Goa’s issues in the depth and manner needed to have an impact.
While this position is of privilege and great honour, it also comes with responsibility. The limitations mentioned have prevented me from exercising my duties to the best of my ability and need.
I am of the considered opinion that I should free myself of this responsibility to enable me to work as a foot soldier again in Goa’s cause in my sunset years in public service.
I once again thank Smt Mamata Bannerjee for the opportunity and wish her the best of health to carry out her mission of protecting India’s secular credentials.