VASCO: A major fire gutted the Goa Airport Garbage segregation site leaving three workers injured
Sources said that the bailing and compression machines used after the segregation of garbage had sparks that led to a minor blast and subsequent fire at the site
The fire grew into an inferno as the waste plastic, empty perfume bottles and dry waste caught fire and fire tenders were called to the site
The fire was so huge that five fire tenders were used to douse fire including the fire tender from the neighbouring Naval area even as thick clouds of smoke were visible from far away areas.
While the Goa Airport did not comment, it is learnt from sources that the airport will conduct an enquiry into the incident
Speaking to the media later, Chicalim Sarpanch Kamla Prasad Yadav said that three workers were injured in the incident
“The locals informed me about a blast near the Goa airport, and I rushed to the site and realised that there was a huge fire in the garbage segregation site used by the Goa Airport. Fire tenders are on site, and sources say that the fire was caused by the sparks in the machinery,” said Yadav.
Workers at the site that the blast caused in the machinery had left three workers injured
“They were working on the machine when there was a spark and a blast and one worker got head injuries and had burns on his hand and neck. Two other workers also received burn injuries, and all three workers have been shifted to the hospital. We were outside when we heard them scream after a blast in the morning,” said the worker.